Sunday, October 23, 2011

Meet Roz Savage – Has She Made a Difference in Your Life?



All of my life I’ve been attracted to small things. I cherished my tiniest deck of cards, and a wee set of game dice; the smallest seashells were the ones that I coveted.  I drooled over small (and fast) cars and think that living in a tree house is some sort of perfect heaven. As an adult I’m fascinated by the challenge and efficiency of tiny studio apartments. I once lived in a large three level Tahoe- style house on three acres and dreamed of building a one room guest cottage to spend my days in. I've always thought living on a boat would be fantastic . . . (but never a rowboat - that just never crossed my mind).

I’ve experienced larger things throughout my life, but my fascination has always been how small and compact and pared down can I go and still maintain quality of life . . . which of course leads to the question of just what is quality of life?

I’ve followed Roz Savage’s remarkable journey across an ocean or two in her tiny row boat – the sheer logistics of it grabbed my interest right away. How in the world can she survive (and I’m not talking just physically) within the small confines of her world? What are her bare essentials? How does she cope with the solitude and isolation? I read each blog post with relish as I discovered another piece of her thought process.

If you know anything about Roz at all, you know she is rowing to raise global awareness of the damage our civilization is imposing on our oceans. 


That’s the big picture, but that can’t be the primary reason for her remarkable quest, can it? It has to be about more than that, doesn’t it? What makes a human eschew a traditional life and embark on a remarkable life? What makes an idea pop into one’s head and not let go? What makes risking it all seem so necessary and worthwhile?

Now, I will state right up front that I do not equate my adventures with the courage and abilities of Roz Savage. Nope, she stands with very few in that court. But I’ve been inspired by her journey to tap into my own Inner Source and take bold steps (for me) to follow what my heart says is important – to find and embellish my own sense of passion.  

I am driven to see just how small of a footprint I can function within and still find my joy and purpose in life.  I do not crave a monk’s sparse existence – I love my clothes and shoes too much to leave them behind. I love my computer workings and drawing supplies too much to want to build a life without them. I know what matters to me . . . my task then,  is to make them all work together.

How do I physically live the smallest I can and still have the most I want out of life? That’s my definition of living large in the first place. I’m working that puzzle out, and I find that I often think “If Roz can do that, then surely I can do this.” I don’t compare our journeys – but I do draw on her amazing inner strength when mine flags. Her quest has obviously sparked something in me – and the stories of others should do just that - it’s our shared ethos our interconnectedness in this universe. As a very wise woman often states "A rising tide lifts all boats."

We can’t all be Roz Savage, but we can all find our passion and push our limits. Let her story amaze you. Let it inspire you, let it help you take action to find out what really matters to you and go for it – do not look at what she’s done and compare yourself – look at what you can do and prepare yourself. With her world record completed, I’m sure Roz is asking herself right now the very same thing you could be asking yourself – what’s your next step?

No comments:

Post a Comment