Saturday, October 22, 2011

I'm a Recovering Control Freak




I am a recovering control freak – there are no twelve step programs for me (that I know of), so I’ve had to go it alone. All my life, I’ve always felt most comfortable being in charge and knowing what was going on at all costs - having goals and accomplishments felt safe. Luckily my abilities made this work well for me, but it’s also prolonged my need to be in control, which isn’t ultimately in my best interest if I want to grow as a person.

I’ve released just about everything in my life that brought me comfort – things (it's just stuff), careers (financial security) and ideas (past habits and behaviors). Not because I want to punish myself, but because I want a life of freedom that can only come from letting go.

For me, the need to control gives up freedom – being willing to let go liberates it. If this sounds counter-intuitive to you, just consider how freeing it feels to clean out your closets or a cupboard, or a spare room full of stuff you’ve forgotten you had…..letting go IS freedom.

It isn’t all fun and games – sometimes it’s the scariest thing imaginable….but that is part of the process too. What would you do if you had nothing holding you back? That is a worthy concept to spend some time with today – and when you get a glimpse of what is fundamentally important to you, consider what your next step could be…. It doesn’t hurt to think about it, but be forewarned – once a thought is released, it can never go back into the box……enjoy considering A Life Without Limits - it's your turn, who will you become?

No comments:

Post a Comment