Friday, May 25, 2012

There Should Be a Sign on the Door

There should be a sign on the door “Caution, Woman with Power Tools Inside”. 
As you well know, Gypsy was delivered last week and I had some happy tears to welcome her home. The week that followed held more emotional surprises. My Inner Sissy met head-on with my Inner Kick Ass. The first few days were pure terror: Was I strong enough? Was I knowledgeable enough? Did I have enough money to do this renovation? What the Hell was I thinking?

Thankfully it only took me a few days to get my Macho back and one way I did this was to reframe the project. I’ve spent so many years proving to myself that life is all in attitude and perspective – so it’s nice that I had this thought process to fall back on. The first thing I had to do was to stop focusing on what isn’t done and start celebrating what is getting done – no matter how small.

I’m still deciding how to celebrate my successes. Some small daily ritual of self empowerment is in order, but for now, this blog will be my celebration.

So what have I accomplished this week?
  1. The first two days were spent whining and being overwhelmed at the project I’ve gotten myself into – that wasn’t all bad however, I’ve been able to realize just what I wanted to get out of this project (besides a really cool Vintage Airstream). I wanted to get back that feeling of self-sufficiency and blind, can-do trust in myself.
  1. Removed all drapes and the tracks that held them (That took 2 days because they were so filthy that my allergies were raging, and well, there’s only so much that can get done when you’ve got a box of tissues in one hand.)
  1. Learned how to remove the tambour doors (for when I eventually paint them) – and by-the-way, this is no small task: It starts out with a few simple, visible screws, but the real set of screws is sort of hidden and very hard to get to – let’s see, I have 9 doors?
  1. Was able to remove the bed platform enough to see that Yes, I can reposition the bed across the back wall. And, No, I cannot remove the built in dresser by myself – so the bedroom will have to wait.
  1. Finally got the living room credenza out!! That was mucho empowering….
Before - credenza still in place

After - now there's room for my Eames Chair

  1. see the pile of stuff that has been removed?
Stuff going, going,gone!!

And the zillion screws that I’ve had to remove – many by hand because the drill wouldn’t fit it the tight spots.
Don't laugh - this took a lot of time

  1. I have also been chipping away at getting the gaucho couch out, but I think that too will have to wait for some more muscle. My ego has really taken a hit on what I can’t do, but I realized that I CAN do everything above the windows: clean, paint, install new shelf, install new shades and curtains – that will keep me busy for weeks I’m sure.
  1. Also found a source for reasonably priced roller shades during a fact finding trip into town. All windows will have lightweight (washable) curtains but I also need some privacy shades at night. I will eventually redo all shades with some sort of fabric for a more finished look.
I promise, I will post pictures when there is actually a before and after to see – right now it doesn’t look like I’ve done much of anything (Hence the list of accomplishments)….Once the paint, window coverings and new LED lighting is done, I will definitely share the progress with you.


2 comments:

  1. It's looking good, thus far! Taking pictures as you go might add a little extra something to your accomplishment list--and make the process even more creative! Good job and have fun!! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Some weeks the progress is visually big, but often the progress is mostly doing a LOT of thinking about how to accomplish each stage. There might not always be pictures to show, but there will always be a story to tell!!!

      Delete