Monday, April 4, 2011

Why Would Anybody Hostel It?




To be honest, this is my first hostel stay in America – Fisherman’s wharf in San Francisco. So I can’t speak for other hostels (and I know this one has had a great reputation for years), I can only tell you about my experience with this one.

Why am I staying here? It’s cheap – I don’t know how long it will take me to secure a place to live, and I really don’t care to spend the whole day alone. You probably know that I’m not much of a night goer – but I don’t want to hole up in a hotel room either.

Sure I’m a loner, but a little solitude goes a long way these days. That’s the reason I chose this – but since I’ve been here, another benefit has appeared. I’m used to traveling in comfort – car or cabs, decent hotels, and interesting restaurants: All very cozy, but not very much outside of my comfort zone. I always thought the destination was the excitement. But hostels are just a bit edgy – not in my comfort zone at all.

I’ve enjoyed the contrast in traveling this way – how often I had chosen to travel carrying all my homey accouterments in the past….not this time. I am truly out of my comfort zone, but not uncomfortable at all.

Hostel Pluses
+Cheap, cheap, cheap (my stay is $27/night – ummmm, this is on the wharf – hellllllo)
+Free breakfast with bottomless cup of coffee
+Reasonable lunch and dinners ($5 for the dinner special- I don’t eat lunch)

+Relaxed yet active – there are great portions of the day where you have the place to yourself but also lots of time with people quietly mingling around.
+Always someone to talk to – this may be called a youth hostel, but there are all ages staying here.
+Surrounding Parkside area to be one with nature.


+Free current movies each night (I’ll finally get to see Social Network if I’m back in time Wednesday night).


Hostel Minuses
- Hard core music in the common room (easily taken care of with my earphones and MP3)
- Bedding less than luxurious (I mistakenly ‘stored’ my favorite comforter which would have made all the difference).
- Lack of privacy – not a huge issue for me– but not for the feint-of-heart either – you have to be willing to share your space.


As you can see – the deck is pretty much stacked in favor. I’m sure other pluses and minuses will come out over the next few days, but for now, I’m loving the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment