Sunday, April 17, 2011

Plant Yourself in the Best Possible Environment

I haven’t posted anything for a while. I hope you have missed me and have been wondering what has happened. Has San Francisco been so wonderful that I’ve lost my way to the computer? Am I so busy with the joy of living that I’ve forgotten to share the riches with you?

Well, I know that San Francisco is wonderful, and I haven’t been very far from a computer either, but I’ve been light years away from the internet, and miles from San Francisco. Since I couldn’t move immediately, I planned for some much needed R&R before I hit the ground running in the fast lane. What I got instead was a big dose of reality slapped smack-dab on the forehead.

How could I go back to circumstances that I had worked so hard to escape from? Did I think that I was bigger than the environment? Did I forget all that felt wrong with this life that I am visiting? Was I so used to living in lap of nourishment that I thought that the entire world was like that – that somehow I had changed so much that location simply didn’t matter anymore?

Location matters. Environment can nourish or kill – you may think it’s you, but if you are living in a harsh environment (according to your unique needs), you cannot blossom with all your potential If you’re an orchid in the desert the environment will quite probably kill you and at the very least, stunt you.

There is a saying that ‘Where ever you go, there you are’ – implying that movement from one place to another to find happiness is folly. But that doesn’t account for those of us who are seeking a more harmonious place to live – a place where our souls can breathe and flourish; a place that will allow us to breathe and explore and yes, blossom to our hearts content. That is where we need to be. Never forget that. Location matters.

I realize from the past week (and dear God help me, the remaining two weeks) that I cannot thrive in a hostile environment. It’s not the environments fault any more than it is mine. It is simply an acknowledgement of fact. I am not the hardy daisy that can bloom with beauty just about anywhere. Thankfully, I am not the persnickety orchid either – whose demands are far more exacting than what I require to thrive.

I am perhaps, more like the hardy Zantedeschia (Calla lily – Notice the clever play on words?). Given the right conditions it is a weed – you never have to water it; you can chop it to the ground and it will keep coming back – but it will not grow in anything less than what it requires. When it gets this, it is always beautiful, always giving because it blooms regularly with ease.

I have found my garden in which to bloom, I am simply awaiting transport there. For now, I am stunted and hampered by my location. I feel disloyal and less friend-like for these thoughts, but I cannot help what my needs are. This too shall pass….and I look forward to being the best Zan I know how to be once I am ‘home’ – where my soul thrives and my heart sings. It is a good journey that I am on– just not a very happy one right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment