Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lesson (Re)Learned

Remember that ‘perfect’ flat that I was hoping beyond hope for the other day? Well, a little birdie and a very good friend reminded me that if something that seems perfect doesn't work out, it’s usually because something even better is waiting for them. RIGHT ON.

I came back to my hostel that day and felt – well, less than confident that the perfect little flat was meant to be. Yes I felt a wonderful connection to the room, but not so much with the flat mates. So even though I wanted that place, I knew I needed to keep looking. Well, it was only day one of my search and as much as I love answers, I am here to purposely let things unfold, so I powered up the laptop and went back to my favorite site: Craigslist.

Voila, there was another flat that sounded very much like the one I had just fallen in love with but the flat mates were different. My gut was doing a happy dance, but my brain was saying don’t get your hopes up. Gotta love a good gut message!! I responded and they responded and the next day I had spent 2 hours thoroughly enjoying their company and loving the overall energy of the flat. I knew I was home.

So let me explain why I’m approaching my move to San Francisco this way – renting a room from strangers when I’ve been chief cook and bottle washer for oh so many years. San Francisco is expensive – sharing a flat makes financial sense. I’m also not really sure where I want to live – oh, I think I know, but until I spend lots and lots of time exploring different areas will I really know. Those are 2 very good reasons alone, but the real motivation is having a built in community. No, I’m not looking for a family, or best friends, but I am looking to interact with people in a warm, authentic way.

You know I am an introvert, and that it’s not always easy for me to reach out and meet people. Some days I’m a Chatty Cathy, other days I’m very content to be the observer. Having flat mates will help me transition into my community – who better to recommend a favorite eating spot or hiking trail or downtown place to be? Who better to share thoughts on life with over a glass of vino after an exciting day’s exploration?

I look back on the times in my life that I’ve had room mates and they are truly some of the happiest times of my life – was it the living situation or my life situation? Probably both, but I can tell you that I am looking forward to this time and these women to build my base in San Francisco. It seems like such a no brainer doesn’t it?

One thing I’ve learned for sure all these years – nothing is carved in stone and everything can and does change. That is what I’m embracing about life right now – change. No longer do I need things wrapped up in a neat little package for comfort. The unknown is feeling very appealing and right where I want to be. Here’s to Loving the Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment