Friday, February 4, 2011

Is Less, More?

For a few years now I’ve been seriously downsizing (well, except for boots, but that’s another story). When I first moved to the Central Coast, from a place I’d called home for over 20 years, everything fit into an Audi Avant and a 10’ x 10’ storage unit. I’m down to what would fit in the same Avant and a 5’ x 10’ storage unit and I couldn't be happier. Less really is more.

I have so few things now, but what I do have really counts. Don’t think my home doesn’t matter to me – it does GREATLY. It’s my haven and my refuge, but it’s filled more with attitude than stuff: I have candles everywhere, which I burn regularly; my treasured, eclectic art hangs on all walls – giving me emotional hugs and kicks in the pants as needed; my extravagant and wonderful Eames chair is my ‘office’; I’m within reach of books that make my heart sing with adventure; and sunshine that bathes everything in glorious, healing light, and, of course boots - they just make me happy.

Although anything can (and often does) happen, it’s very likely that I’ll be living in a studio in San Francisco. They are challenging to say the least – I hate clutter, and I hate cramped – but I love small and cozy so I’m excited to try my hand at creating the perfect place to call home: My perfect nest that makes me feel welcome, and glad to stay awhile; a place that will ground me when I’m spinning from too much excitement and chaos from the outside world.

The correlation between a studio and a hotel room is not lost on me….now, if I could only find valet parking.

No comments:

Post a Comment