Wednesday, May 18, 2011

All Things San Francisco - Part One

That's my stuff in the U-Haul (we're going 'home'!)

Just two and a half short weeks ago I was following my few belongings into San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge. I've crossed it many, many times before - I was always looking for a reason to visit this wonderful city - but as I neared the middle of the span I looked to the left to see the city - My City - in all its glory waiting for me. I teared up as I realized that I am going "home" instead of the usual "I wish I lived there".


The first week was all about getting my room settled - but when the weekend came - off I went to see what I could see. I took the Muni to downtown and cruised by Yerba Buena Gardens where there was a Afro/Cuban band playing. The weather was warm and sunny; the crowd was dancing their finest Salsa steps and I could have listened to the music for hours.


This Afro/Cuban band kept everyone happy

But, as you can imagine, there is much to do in San Francisco - discovering a Thai restaurant - visiting the ballpark hours before the game just to soak up the energy of the fans. This city loves their Giants - win or lose, but being World Champions makes it a tad sweeter than usual.

Free viewing wall at ATT Park before the game

Meandering down the Embarcadero is always one of my favorite things to do...and that Saturday was no exception. All the way down to the Ferry Building.

The Embarcadero across from the Ferry Building

Inside the Ferry Building - stunning!

Tired and contented I found my bus back to my neighborhood and called it a day - oops, not quite apparently: I had a few errands to run on my way back. I cannot tell you how fun it is to hop on and off a bus to run errands - no parking, no muss, no fuss. Just pure convenience.

So groceries, art supplies and a bouquet of flowers later I arrived back at the flat - tired, happy and oh so thankful I made this choice to move here now, at this time in my life. If I had come years earlier who knows how things would have turned out - and waiting? well, that just isn't in my vocabulary anymore.

There were signs everywhere - this is one of my favorites

Here's to all things San Francisco for many, many weekends to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment