Monday, May 23, 2011

Fillmore Street - All Things San Francisco Part 2




Sidewalk Sale on Fillmore Street, San Francisco

Fillmore Street caught my eye several months ago on a recon visit to San Francisco. The locals referred to it as Lower Pac Heights. It immediately made me feel like I was in the Village in New York. So needless to say it didn’t take much for me to go exploring there this weekend with unlimited time.

‘Unlimited time’ in San Francisco is my code for taking the Muni – no meters to worry about, no extra minutes that will cost you an additional $10….just time to fritter because the next bus is always 7 minutes away.
One of many trios and quartets along the sidewalk stores.

When I stepped onto Fillmore I was greeted by a jazz trio playing on the sidewalk – but I could hear another group a little further up….now this is the way to wander the streets!! It turned out that last Saturday was the merchant’s Sidewalk Sale and the retailers made sure to welcome and amaze you. 

What better way to say come join the fun?


Each lamp post had balloons of my favorite colors – the music was energizing and the shops? Oh the shops.



Do Something Creative Every Day

There were shops that invited you to hum to your own inner muse on every block. There were shops that did the creating for you - all you had to do was plunk down your wallet (or pink slip to your late model BMW). And cozy cafes and coffee shops were sprinkled along both sides of the sidewalks.

Pillow to capture your imagination.


This is just a small part of what I love about San Francisco – the creativeness at every turn. But I also love the history of this place….just look at the mass of lines on this intersection – for those of you that aren’t familiar with this sight, it’s the lines for the trolley buses – pretty energy efficient…certainly clean and odor free. That’s not something you find just anywhere – that is San Francisco pure and simple.

Overhead lines for the trolley buses

I do love exploring all the nooks and crannies of stores – where things are so artfully displayed…


Paper for any project - or just to look at

and Fillmore Street didn’t disappoint. I’m not sure who can afford to shop there, but looking is free and the smiles and openness of the community were in full force. 

Notable happenings in the summertime

I’m told that the Jazz Festival on the 4th of July along Fillmore Street is not to be missed – but I suspect as I learn more about my City by the Bay I will have to choose which amazing venue I will attend – but with the Muni? I may hit them all….just pray for a clear night (this IS San Francisco, after all.)

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment