Friday, July 8, 2011

New Pair of Lenses

Look what I'm reading!

You know my NEW BOOK is finally published and available for sale to EVERYONE. I am over the moon with excitement and happiness. But now the next chunk of this project stands before me. Marketing it....and I don't know a thing about that, so I depend on my Inner Source to guide me in this step - just as it's guided me to write the book, illustrate it, design the layout and get it published. None of which I knew how to do before I started. (Pretty cool stuff this Inner Source).

Clearing my mind and listening to my Inner Source is essential to taking every step of the way. To accomplish this, I do my morning sketches.

I sketch every morning to help center me and clear my mind. I never know where these morning sketches will take me. Some start out one way and then, when I start to color them, morph into something else entirely.


Take the sketch I did this morning. I started with a swoopy, loopy swirl; added my cherished star and spiral (can’t seem to do a drawing without them)….the next thing I knew I was drawing an eye. A sad eye it seemed, so a tear was appropriate - "Now where did that come from? and why did the mouth fly off to the side? and isn't that half a heart - what's up with that?" All these thoughts are popping up as I’m doing the line drawings. The point is, my drawings appear – I don’t create them I just release them from my Inner Source.


Then I got my box of colored pencils out and started filling in the spaces….notice that the mouth now has a blue heart around it? This process helped me go deeper into what’s been on my mind. It’s not necessary to share the details because we all have our own story - our own ‘stuff’- but I wanted to share my process for getting that stuff out in the open so I can look at it through a new set of eyes.

Has it changed the way things are? Not really…but it has changed the way I think about them (and certainly the way I feel about them). I often find that when I start with one central thought, it changes (and usually lightens) once I start coloring. Drawing and coloring, for me, is literally like reaching over and grabbing a new set of glasses to see with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment