Friday, January 6, 2012

Dad . . .



Photo composition by Jason Packard

I’m not sure what to write about today – my mind keeps drifting back to my dad – he died 36 years ago this Monday, January 9th,  and 36 years ago we were keeping vigil in the hospital hoping against all hope that he would survive and stay with us longer. He didn’t. I was devastated. I was lost. I was angry, and I was in a free fall – the first true free fall of my life. He died my parent; we were just starting to become friends – we were just starting to see each other as ‘real’ people.

I’ve missed him every single day of my life – but in an odd way, his death was the first stage of my emotional birth. He was a force larger than life. His pedestal was way out of my league, but everything I did was shrouded by what Dad would think. Sometimes I relished rebelling and shocking him. Sometimes I basked in his appreciation. Always, what I did was measured against the man.

After the shock and deep grief subsided I realized for the first time in my life that I was going to have to do things according to what I wanted…there was no one but me to impress, rebel against, or appreciate. I didn’t have a clue to how to begin to live my life for me – just me. I hadn’t had time to practice ‘me’.

Ironically, I don’t ever remember him being a mentor – making suggestions or giving advice. But truthfully, I might have trained him quite early that I don’t accept advice or help – his favorite story was of my 2 year old self refusing assistance demanding in no uncertain terms “I do it myself!” I’d like to think that we are much alike, this giant and me – we’ve just traveled different roads.

So the bitter sweet thoughts of my Dad are: “Thanks for moving over and letting me find my voice and my own truth – but damn. Dad….I sure would have loved to have you around longer”. Of course, I do realize that he is here with me, right now and always has been so I’ll reframe that and say: ”Here’s to you Dad, thanks for everything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment